so macosx 10.4 (tiger) now ships with dvd only. that means older machines which don't have a dvd drive can't install it without forking over a old-machines tax ($10).
here's a way to install tiger without resorting to paying more money to apple:
1. find a friend
2. check if he has a mac with a dvd drive (if not, repeat step 1.)
3. convince him/her to boot their mac into firewire target disk mode (hold down T when rebooting before you see the apple logo.)
4. connect your machine his/her machine using a firewire cable.
5. put the tiger dvd into their dvd drive.
6. boot up your non-dvd machine and hold the Option/Alt key.
7. you should see their DVD drive and install away!
You can reply to me about this on Twitter: Tweet to @liquidx